Depression:Types,Symptoms & Treatment
DO YOU FEEL SUICIDAL OR LONG – TERM SADNESS?
ALERT It might be depression !
Do u know world’s 10% population is suffering from it which includes 300 million people. As counting the exact data, world’s 8.7% of women have depression and as concerned with men, 5.3% of man have depression. It is difficult to understand it because it is invisible.
Now we really need to know what actually is it:
It is an mental disorder that effect a person’s thoughts,feelings and behavior negatively or in more simple words we may also say that, It is a category of mental illness where a person is suffering from symptoms or group of symptoms( named Sadness,Social withdrawal, Lower Self-Esteem, Poor Concentration ) that continues to two to four weeks or more. To understand what really it is we need to talk about symptoms.
- Social Withdrawal
- Lack of Energy
- Low motivation
- Poor Concentration
- Sleep Problems
- Loss of interest
- Thoughts of Suicide
- Poor Self Esteem
In the above section, we have discussed about depression and its symptoms. Lets talk about it’s types. There are different types of it. Lets discuss them in precise form:
1. Major Depressive Disorder:
- It is also known as Clinical Depression/ Unipolar Depression.
- It is serious type of depression that interfere with day-to-day life of patients.
- The main causes of Major Depressive disorder are Genetic,Biology,Environmental, Psychology or their combination.
Treatment of Major Depressive Disorder:
- Non-Pharmacologic(Non-Meditation): It includes Physical activity,good diet.
- Psychotherapy. Pharmacologic(Medication): It includes Antidepressant, Electroconvulsvive Therapy
2. Dysthymic Depression:
- It is also known as Persistent Depressive Disorder.
- It is a lower grade depression as compared to Major Depressive Disorder.In order to have the diagnose the person have to had this depression for at least two years,if person is a child ,than one year.To identify this,the person must have two or more of the following symptoms:
- Poor Appetite or Overeating
- Insomnia or Hypersomnia
- Low Energy or Fatigue
- Low Self Esteem
- Poor Concentration
- Difficulty in making decisions
- Feeling of Hopelessness
3. Double Depression:
- It is also known as Longstanding Depression. It refers to existence of both Major Depressive Disorder as well as Persistent Depressive Disorder.
- You may be surprised to know that between 3% to 6% is at a risk for a form of it.
- It effects daily functioning of patient and his/her quality of life. It carries an increased risk for suicidal thoughts. Right treatment can help the patient to overcome from this.
- It is basically a sub-type of Major Depressive Disorder.
- It is two times more common in women than man.In Major Depressive Disorder patient remains upset for all the time but unlike ,Major Depressive Disorder, individuals experience improved mood/good mood when en-counting good events.
- Following are the characteristics of it:
- Good improvement due to positive events
- At least two of the following:
- To cope up with this depression, Individual need to increase its social circle,perform physical exercise and should take doctor’s help.
- The word ‘Melancholia’ itself describe it’s meaning which means ”A Feeling Of Deep Sadness”. It is a sub-type of Major Depressive Disorder which presents with melancholic features.
- The disorder can affect many areas of life,including work,school and relationships.
- People with Melancholia Depression loose interest in life/Various functions which they used to enjoy earlier.
- Melancholia Depression can also impact appetite and sleep. Symptoms of Melancholia Depression are worse in morning.
6 Depression Coupled with Anxiety:
- It is also known as Panic Disorder. A panic attack can come anywhere ,at any time.
- An attack usually take 5-10 minutes ,but it can be longer for an hour. It may be heart attack kind of feeling.
- If left untreated Panic disorder can sometimes lead to Agoraphobia, an intense fear of being outside.
- It may cause due to genetic or biological reasons.
- The cause of panic disorder is not clear so the treatment may be different for different persons. Antidepressants have shown good results in treating anxiety disorder.
- It is a mood disorder that effect a woman shortly before or soon after childbirth. Any woman ,irrespective of her economic,social and educational background, can be effected by it.
- 80% of the women in the world faces it.
- Woman suffering from it requires immediate treatment by health care specialist.
- The un-treated disorder can effect any woman of childbearing age. There are effective treatment for this i.e. counseling session/Talk therapy and medication.
8. SAD/Winter blues:
- SAD stand for Seasonal Affective Disorder. Seasonal Effective Disorder is when an individual feels depressive symptoms at the same time each year usually in winters.
Symptoms of Seasonal Effective Disorder are:
- Worthless Guilt
- Hard to concentrate
- Lack of enjoyment in the activities they enjoy at the other times of year.
Treatment of Seasonal Affective Disorder are:
- Light Therapy
CHECKLIST : Here is the checklist of depression.The given below points describes the check points which you have to considering while anaylizing that a particular individual is suffering from it or not:
Mood Swings: Do you feel sudden mood swings or feel worthlessness,helplessness for a day at a time?
Sleep Disorder: Are you feeling too much or trouble in sleep for most of the time?
Persistent Fatigue: Do you frequently feel tired or lack energy?Inability to Concentrate: If you are unable to concentrate or focus on even routine task, you really need to take it serious.
Isolation: Are you withdrawing from social circle? Increased isolation and diminishing interest or pleasure in activities are sign of depression.
Appetite Disturbance: Are you eating far less than usual or far more?
Feeling a sense of inappropriate guilt.
Difficulty managing anger.
Thoughts of suicide.
A loss of interest in sex.
A focus on the past, usually negative aspects.
NOTE: ONLY A DOCTOR CAN DIAGNOSE it.
It is said that graph or picture catches users mind more quickly than text. So, the pictures given below clearly describe the points that helps individual in overcoming from depression:
The Bottom Line
Depression is a serious condition which attacks the brain of human mind. If it is left untreated or if we don’t give prior attention towards its early symptoms then it can result in many adverse side effects.
If you suspect that you have depression then speak with your doctor about getting tested. Always stay in touch to get more and updated info about it.
So stay happy and healthy